You will need to prepare an exploration proposal that formulates the content and parameters of your individual design process, and that includes a detailed plan (including a datelist) of how and when aspects of the proposal will be undertaken.
You will need to develop ideas for;
- Subject matter
- Sources of inspiration
- Aesthetic qualities
- Art forms, materials and techniques
Here are some questions to get you started. You should address these in your visual diary:
1) What type of music do you enjoy and why?
2) Is there a visual aesthetic that the musical group/band/artist has that appeals to you? What is it and why do you like it?
3) What was the last film you saw and what aspects of it do you remember?
4) Describe a memorable even in your life?
5) Where did you grow up?
6) What is your earliest memory?
7) If you could say something to the world what would it be?
8) What visual techniques have you explored previously? What did you enjoy and why ?
9) Do you have a level of interest or competence in techniques previously explored?
10) What materials and techniques would you like to explore further and why?
After you have written some responses, pair up with someone in the class and share your responses with them. Ask three to five questions of each others responses. Now take it in turns to describe what you think the really interesting responses/parts of responses are. After you have some feedback try to fill in gaps in your own responses or make additions.
Now its time to do some research. Your job is to find 3 examples of contemporary artists speaking about their work. Try to find information on artists working in different mediums (painting, video art, ceramics). You should also research different media forms – newspaper articles, video clips, film.
You should take note of;
- their identified inspiration,
- sources for ideas,
- influences of their background/culture
- Use and experimentation of materials and techniques
- Their exploratory processes.
Make a note of anything you find that seems to form a parallel with your own ideas.
Still got no clue as to where to start? Check out the example exploration proposals in the next menu for some help.