Unit 2 Activity 9: THE MAGNUM
“Magnum is a community of thought, a shared human quality, a curiosity about what is going on in the world, a respect for what is going on and a desire to transcribe it visually.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson
Sourced from Magnum Photos History (Links to an external site.).
This Magnum Photos website (Links to an external site.) is a good resource for magnum photographers.
What to do
- Research the group of Magnum photographers from its earliest years to the present day.
- Research the cultural (social, economic, political etc.) environment of some of the works that you find interesting.
- Select two examples from the group, one from its earliest years, and one from the past ten years.
- Write a comparison between the two examples, ensuring that you include how the work related to the cultural environment in which the photographer was working.
What to submit
- 300 – 500 words comparing your two examples including illustrations of the works and their context
This activity will be assessed against criteria 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Criteria 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5